Herbal Neck Formula
An Herbal Neck Formula targets the meridians and collaterals of the neck in a multi-layered syndrome which leads to contraction of the tendonomuscular meridians of the neck and local obstruction of Qi(energy) & Blood resulting in stiff, painful muscles and tendons, aching and numbness of the joints, and a decrease in range of motion. Indications include headache, dizziness, stiff and painful neck, shoulders or back, and pain and numbness in the arms.
Neck disc disorders are typically marked by intermittent neck pain, followed by severe neck and sometimes arm pain. The pain may be sufficient to awaken from sleep. Irritated nerves also can lead to numbness or weakness in the arm or forearm, tingling in the fingers and coordination problems.
Symptoms vary according to the type of disorder, i.e. herniated disc or bone spurs, whether there is pressure on the spinal cord or spinal nerves, and whether the spine is misaligned in addition to pressure on the cord or nerves. The most common symptom is neck pain with loss of normal range of motion of the neck. This pain may range from mild discomfort to severe, crippling dysfunction. The pain may also radiate to the back, shoulders, arms and hands. There may also be feelings of soreness, swelling, numbness and weakness in the arms, hands and fingers, and trouble walking due to weakness in the legs.
Other symptoms include the sensation or sound of grinding or popping in the neck during neck motion, muscle spasms or headaches originating from the neck, sensations of irritability and fatigue, disturbed sleep, blurred vision, difficulty in swallowing, tinnitus, dizziness, or even decreased consciousness. Severe nerve impairment or even paralysis may develop if the disorder is left untreated.
There are neck formulas that seek pain relief due to a combination of degeneration of the joints or Qi(energy) and Blood stagnation with underlying deficiency. Patients with this type of neck pain usually present with certain aspects of meridian or energy flow problems of the neck area. These neck problems may lead to the contraction of the tendons and muscles of the neck and local obstruction of energy, which results in the sensations of stiff, painful muscles and tendons, aching and numbness of the joints, and a decrease in the normal range of neck motion. An herbal neck formula may be effective for neck pain when taken over a period of time and as part of a comprehensive therapeutic approach for headaches, stiff and painful neck, shoulders and back, and pain and numbness in the arms.
A good herbal neck formula may help with our methods of neck pain relief and health care provider care for: neck disc problems, chronic cervical subluxation, herniated discs, healing following neck injury, inflammation, torticollis, thoracic outlet compression syndrome, arthritis, joint and tendon pain.
Ingredients in any good herbal neck formula will vary and are usually designed for a specific patient’s needs. An example of a general neck formula is
- Codonopsis Root increases energy similar to ginseng and directs other herbs in formula.
- Astragalus Root promotes healing of chronic conditions, eliminates obstructions, helps numbness and parasthesias.
- Rehmannia Root-raw reduces joint pain and swelling.
- Paeonia Lactiflora Root nourishes blood, stops cramping pain or spasms in the hands.
- Ligusticum Rhizome invigorates blood and promotes energy flow, alleviates pain from blocked channels and nourishes tendons and ligaments.
- Prunus Persica Seed breaks up blood stagnation and to promotes healing.
- Carthamus Flower dispels blood stasis and alleviates pain.
- Boswellia Resin invigorates blood and promotes energy flow, alleviates pain.
- Commiphora Resin invigorates blood, dispels blood stasis, reduces swelling, alleviates pain and promotes healing.
- Salvia Miltiorrhiza Root eliminates pain by opening channels removing stagnation.
- Vaccaria Seed promotes movement of blood, invigorates channels, reduces swelling.
- Pueraria Root releases muscles found in stiff neck, headache and tight upper back muscles.
- Haliotidis Shell improves blurred vision, helps alleviate headache and dizziness.
- Ophicalcite mineral disperses blood stasis, alleviates pain.
- Phellodendron Bark clears heat decreases inflammation.
- Clematis Root unblocks channels, alleviates pain, often used for arthritis.
- Gentiana Macrophylla Root relaxes tendons and ligaments, anti-inflammatory.
- Notopterygium Root disperses cold related body aches and pains.
- Atractylodes Rhizome removes inflammation and obstruction.
- Eupolyphaga Sinensis breaks up and drives out blood stasis, heals tendons and ligaments, resolves swelling.
- Pheretima Aspergillum unblocks channels for swollen and painful joints with reduced range of motion, clears inflammation, relaxes spasms.
120 tablets per bottle. Recommended 5-6 tablets 3 times per day or as directed by your health care practitioner. Administer half an hour before or one hour after eating, unless the patient has a sensitive stomach, in which case it should be taken with food. In the initial phases, dosage may be increased to 5-6 tablets 3 times per day, then reduced to a maintenance dose as the formula takes effect. May be used long-term for several weeks to several months. One course of administration is two weeks. Several courses may be required. May be used safely as needed for acute episodes over the course of several years.
No pharmaceuticals, dyes or sugars. Unsulfered, preservative free herbs. Blended, then extracted in strict accordance with Chinese herbal medical tradition. Microbial and heavy metal tested. Produced at an internationally certified GMP factory.
Contains tree nuts. Contraindicated during pregnancy. Contraindicated for the very weak. Use with caution during heavy menstrual bleeding. Use with caution in hemorrhagic disorders or anti-coagulant therapy. Use with caution with gastric or duodenal ulcers, diabetes, or hypertension due to nephrosis.
Available through licensed herbalists: In the meantime, please check out our joint health page for easy to get supplements that can help.